Mapúa Embraces Distance Learning, Launches Mapúa Malayan Digital College
The Unique Needs of Today’s Students
Modern Filipino students are very different from those of the older generations. With the convenience brought about by digital technologies as well as their exposure to different educational models and concepts used around the world, today’s learners are more empowered. They know what they want and they know they have options on choosing which method they can learn best.
Indeed, gone are the days when students are compelled to lengthy classroom setups because now, they have an option to learn virtually. However, their choices are limited as online learning is a new concept in the Philippines. Only a few institutions have adopted distance learning and while schools and universities conduct online classes now, they will soon resume face-to-face classes once the COVID-19 pandemic is over.
But this will no longer be the case this 2022 as a new digital college is being launched. Read on.
The World is Your Campus
Mapúa University and Malayan Colleges Laguna, a Mapúa School, has officially launched the Mapúa Malayan Digital College (MMDC), a digital college focused on technology and business. MMDC is a new college offering a cutting-edge online curriculum, reinforced with exceptional offline experiences that will allow every modern Filipino student to enjoy real-life applications of what they’ve learned. It also harnesses the academic excellence and heritage of digital technology leaders Mapúa University and Malayan Colleges Laguna, A Mapúa School, of which it is a subsidiary.
True enough, the launching of the new digital college is very much welcome, as it answers the unique needs of today’s students who are after flexibility. Students have become open to online learning coupled with occasional face-to-face classes, an educational model that MMDC can provide.
MMDC: The Answer to What Parents and Students Want in a College
Prior to the creation of the Mapúa Malayan Digital College, both Mapúa University and Malayan Colleges Laguna conducted interviews and recent surveys through Acumen, Insight Asia, and TheNerve. The data showed that when choosing a college or university, available courses, tuition fees, and school reputation rank highest in terms of students’ priorities. Keeping all these in mind, MMDC was then conceived.
Derrick Latreille, Chief Learning Officer of MMDC and Co-founder of Ayala Education said, “Mapúa Malayan Digital College was created with today’s students’ needs in mind. Through a series of in-depth interviews, we’ve determined critical factors for students and parents when deciding to choose a college: the reputation of the school, close proximity to their homes, affordability, and an experience that will help them get the career they want. Mapúa Malayan Digital College will be fulfilling all these through its unique student experience.”
So why MMDC?
MMDC offers digital learning and offline spaces for modern needs
MMDC has created a learning model that directly answers students’ needs and wants. Its unique offering prioritizes the following aspects of learning and student life:
- Courses for Employability: MMDC focuses on areas that are in-demand by both students and industry: technology and business. Specializations in Information Technology include Data Analytics, Software Development, and Network and Cybersecurity. Meanwhile, specializations in the Business Administration major include Marketing Management, Operations Management, and Human Resource Management. These degrees are designed by instructional design professionals who have experience in academe as well as the workforce. The Business Administration degree is offered by MMDC through CHED’s memorandum on the implementation of flexible learning.
- Curriculum for the Real World: MMDC helps students develop not just technical skills but also soft skills (such as critical thinking, leadership, creativity, analysis, and collaboration). Students will learn through MMDC’s Projects, Problems and Cases (PPC) model, which emphasizes real-world applications and evaluates students on their output, and not on traditional testing methods. In addition, the MMDC curriculum will also include content from international educational providers, such as Coursera.
- Learning Hubs, at Convenient Locations, for Student Collaboration: MMDC will provide modern collaboration spaces where students can meet, do focused work, collaborate on group projects, organize clubs, and more. MMDC’s first two Learning Hubs will be located at Ayala Malls Cloverleaf (Quezon City) and Ayala Malls Capitol Central (Bacolod City).
- Tech Tools to Power Learning: MMDC can provide each student their own laptop and pocket Wi-Fi, as well as access to the Learning Hub and Student Services to assist with all their connectivity needs.
- Flexible Learning for Modern Students’ Needs: MMDC’s required class meeting times clock in at approximately 7.5 hours a week of synchronous learning, made available with both early and late day schedules. This gives students more control of their time and allows them to balance academics, hobbies, family life, and social life. This set-up also allows flexibility for the working adult who wants to complete their college degree.
- Affordable Fees: MMDC introduces a Pioneer Scholarship where the first 750 enrolled students will be granted up to PHP20,000 discount on tuition fees. With this partial discount, the enrollment fee for a full year can be as low as PHP58,000. Slot reservation starts March 1, 2022.
What courses does MMDC offer? How much is the tuition fee?
For the school year 2022-2023, Mapúa Malayan Digital College will offer BS Information Technology and BS Business Administration courses. Pioneer students will be given a PHP20,000 discount on tuition fees, a substantial deduction from the annual tuition fee of PHP 78,000, leaving the enrollment fee to PHP58,000 for a year. However, this discount is only offered to the first 750 enrolled students so interested students should hurry up.
The application starts on March 1, 2022 and the process is simple:
- Submit Your Application Form. Complete the form for your desired program. Please note that MMDC also accepts transferees from other schools.
- Secure Your Scholarship Slot. Pay the Php 1,500 reservation fee (deductible from your tuition fee) to be part of the MMDC Pioneer Scholarship program and submit a signed waiver. Upload to Reserve your slot starting March 1, 2022.
- Receive Your Letter of Acceptance & Submit Documents. To succeed with MMDC, you will undergo a simple Problems, Projects, and Cases Assessment as a baseline of your readiness so we can find out how we can support your academic journey with us. Once done, we’ll send you a letter of acceptance containing the next steps for enrollment, including the list of documents you’ll need to submit, including:
- Birth Certificate
- Grade 12 Report Card
- Certificate of Good Moral Character
- Govt issued IDs of your parents
- 1.5X1.5 ID photo, white background
If you’re transferring from another school, be sure to complete the Request for Credit Evaluation Form (RCEF) and send it along with the following requirements:
- Transcript of records or a copy of your grades
- A description of your current course
- Duly completed Request for Credit Evaluation Form (RCEF)
- Choose Your Payment Plan. Once you’ve received your Generated Student Assessment (GSA), you can pay your tuition fee through any of our payment channels. We offer several full or flexible payment options through our partners.
- Bank Transfer via RCBC Branches Nationwide
- M. Lhuillier
Mapúa Malayan Excellence with Future-Proof Education
The Mapúa Malayan legacy began in 1925 with the establishment of the Mapúa Institute of Technology. The brand expanded with the opening of Malayan Colleges Laguna, A Mapúa School (MCL) in 2007, as well as the opening of Malayan Colleges Mindanao, A Mapúa School (MCM) in 2018. MCL has garnered a number of accolades: an overall rating of 3 QS stars, with 5 stars for employability, 4 stars for facilities, and 3 stars for social responsibility and inclusiveness. The college is also ISO 9001:2015 certified and has been granted autonomous status by the Commission on Higher Education, enabling the institution to create programs as needed by students.
With the introduction of Mapúa Malayan Digital College, the legacy of quality education continues. “Mapúa University has always been at the forefront of innovation, and Mapúa Malayan Digital College is our latest proof of this. MMDC is also one of our efforts to address the need to provide affordable quality education to more students nationwide through a new approach that directly addresses the challenges faced by Filipino students,” said Dr. Reynaldo B. Vea, President and CEO of the Mapúa University.
“By creating a college that prepares them for the real world; develops soft skills like critical thinking, leadership, and empathy; uses digital learning in a more meaningful way; and provides students with the technology that they need, we ultimately produce graduates who are citizens that can contribute to a better country,” said Dr. Dodjie Maestrecampo, President of Malayan Colleges Laguna and Mindanao, Mapúa Schools.
Mapúa Malayan Digital College is now accepting BS Information Technology and BS Business Administration freshmen for the 2022-2023 school year. Students may inquire or apply by visiting www.mmdc.mcl.edu.ph.
About Mapúa Malayan Digital College
Mapúa Malayan Digital College (MMDC) is a digital-first college that is part of Malayan Colleges Laguna, A Mapúa School, that is dedicated to nurturing nation-building students who will thrive in a business and technology-driven world. Mapúa University and Malayan Colleges Laguna, A Mapúa School, are wholly owned subsidiaries of iPeople, inc., a Yuchengco – Ayala education partnership.
To learn more about MMDC, visit www.mmdc.mcl.edu.ph or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
About the Yuchengco Group
The Yuchengco Group of Companies (YGC) is a premiere Philippine conglomerate with interests ranging from banking to international business partnerships, from financial services to construction, and from education to information technology.
For Media Inquiries:
Corporate Communications and Partnerships Director
E: [email protected]
Senior Account Manager, FleishmanHillard Manila
E: [email protected]